Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ambivalent Recovery

"Recovery feels like shit. It didn't feel like I was doing something good; it felt like I was giving up. It feels like having to learn how to walk all over again.”  
                                                                                      
   -Portia de Rossi

So true. In a world where one can "...never be too rich or too thin," actively trying to keep your weight up feels like slovenly, slothful failure. It's only by realizing that the alternative--illness, infertility, potential death-- is even worse that one can, reluctantly, persuade oneself to try to get "better." But I, for one, have not reached the point where it feels like anything but failure. Intellectually I get it. But the devil on my shoulder still screams so loudly that logic and reason do not get a word in edgewise.

I guess the realistic take-home lesson to recovering from an eating disorder is both simple and unpleasant: it will save your life, but recovery's going to feel like shit for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment